Skip to main content
Northwestern University

University Hall

1897 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208

Located along Sheridan Road, just north of The Rock.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the University Hall

History

University Hall (1869) is the oldest building on campus. It was designed by Gurdon P. Randall and took three years to construct. The high-Victorian Gothic building was made with the same type of Joliet limestone that was used in the historic Chicago Water Tower. Now the home of the English department, it originally housed a chapel, a museum, classrooms, a library, and meeting rooms. The clock in University Hall's highest tower, with a movement built by Seth Thomas, was the gift of the class of 1879. The bells were the gift of the class of 1880. In the west entryway of University Hall is a sign bearing the name 'Old College.' This sign hung above the main entrance of Old College, the first building at the University, completed in 1855 and razed in 1973.

University Archives

More images and historical information on this building can be found at the NU Library Archives

For a list of all University departments see the Office Directory

Rooms in this building

  • Hagstrum Room