Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Annie May Swift Hall

1920 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL 60208

Located along campus drive, just east of the Deering Meadow.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Annie May Swift Hall

History

Annie May Swift Hall (1895) was designed by Charles R. Ayers in an eclectic mixture of Venetian Gothic Revival and Romanesque styles. The building was named in honor of the daughter of Gustavus F. Swift, the meatpacking tycoon; she was a Northwestern student when she died in 1889 from typhoid fever. The building originally included offices, recitation rooms, a library, a gymnasium, and an auditorium for what was then known as the School of Oratory.

University Archives

More images and historical information on this building can be found at the NU Library Archives

For a list of all University departments see the Office Directory

Rooms in this building

  • Peggy Dow Helmerich Auditorium
  • Alvina Krause Studio