Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Lunt Hall

2033 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208

Located along Sheridan road, directly north of Anderson Hall.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Lunt Hall

History

Lunt Hall (1894) served as Northwestern's library until Deering Library was built in 1933. Designed by William Augustus Otis, the Italian Renaissance'style building was funded largely by a gift from Orrington Lunt, a prominent Chicago businessman and one of Northwestern's founders. While little of the building's original splendor has survived remodeling efforts, the main entrance foyer and the woodwork on the ceiling of the first-floor library offer a glimpse of the craftsmanship involved in its construction. Lunt Hall served as Northwestern's administration building from 1933 to 1942. During World War II the Naval Training School for radio operators occupied the building. Today Lunt Hall is the third-oldest building on campus and houses the mathematics department.

University Archives

More images and historical information on this building can be found at the NU Library Archives

For a list of all University departments see the Office Directory