Patten Gymnasium/Gleacher Golf Center
2407 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208
Located on the southeast corner of Sheridan Road and Lincoln Street.
Patten Gymnasium (1940) was named in honor of James A. Patten, a prominent Chicago commodities broker, philanthropist, mayor of Evanston, and president of Northwestern's board of trustees. Designed by Holabird and Root, the facility originally featured a gymnasium, exercise and small-group activity rooms, a swimming pool (now removed), and a rifle range and gun room (now removed) for the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps. The black and chrome doors and the two statues by Hermon MacNeil at the main entrance were moved from the old Patten Gymnasium (1909), which was razed in 1940 to make way for the Technological Institute. In the foyer of Patten Gymnasium stands a large bronze plaque that commemorates the 1860 heroics of Edward Spencer (class of 1862) and other students of the Northwestern Life-Saving Station who rescued more than 17 people after the shipwreck of a steamer on Lake Michigan.
More images and historical information on this building can be found at the NU Library Archives
Departments in this building
For a list of all University departments see the Office Directory