Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Shepard Hall

626 University Place
Evanston, IL 60201

Located along University Place, directly northwest of Allison Residential Community.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Shepard Hall

History

Shepard Hall was constructed as part of Northwestern's Centennial celebration and dedicated in 1952 as an addition to the women's quadrangles. The Holabird, Root, and Burgee design cost $780,000 to build. Originally housing 115 women, Shepard was expanded in 1960 with an addition for 65 students. In fall 1972, Shepard became a nonthematic, coeducational residential college with thematic clusters. The original building was made possible by a donation from Mrs. Margaret Bowen Shepard to honor her husband, Abraham D. Shepard, and her sister, Anna Maude Bowen, both of whom had been interested in education and young people. Mr. Shepard was secretary and general manager of the Pacific Improvement Co., which helped build the Union Pacific, Central Pacific, and Southern Pacific Railroads. Anna Bowen was the dean of women and an assistant professor of English at Northwestern from September 1899 until her sudden death in January of 1900.