Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Rogers House Residence Hall

647 University Place
Evanston, IL 60201

Located along University Place, directly east of Rogers House Residence Hall.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Rogers House Residence Hall

History

Rogers House opened in fall 1928 at the same time as Hobart house to provide housing for non-sorority women within the women's quadrangles. Built and furnished for $140,000, the Indiana limestone structure features a distinctive tower. Well-known architect James Gamble Rogers designed Rogers House as well as the women's quadrangles and Deering Library. Rogers House was named for Emma Winner Rogers, the wife of Henry Wade Rogers, Northwestern's president from 1890 to 1900. Mrs. Rogers was an active member of the Methodist Church, involved in the Methodist Woman's Home Missionary Society and efforts for prohibition and women's suffrage.