Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Evans Scholars House

721 University Place
Evanston, IL 60201

Located off of University Place in between the Willard Residential College and Delta Zeta Sorority.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Evans Scholars House

History

Designed by noted architect James Gamble Rogers and constructed of Lannon limestone, 721 University Place was completed in 1927-28, at the same time the women's quadrangles were built. Like its 13 sorority building neighbors, 721 University Place was erected in part with funds raised by the first residents, Zeta Tau sorority raised $15,000 of the approximately $60,000 needed for construction, with the University paying the balance. Zeta Tau Alpha called the building home until the chapter closed in spring 1969. That fall the men of Evans Scholars moved in, thanks to a program for golf caddies started by Charles "Chick" Evans, Jr., a 1913 Northwestern alumnus who gained worldwide fame in 1916 as the first golfer to win both the U.S. Amateur and U.S. Open Championships in the same year. Holders of Chick Evans Caddie Scholarships receive one-year full tuition and housing scholarships renewable for four years. The first two Evans Scholars enrolled at Northwestern in 1930, and 10 years later a formal chapter of Evans Scholars was established. The first of 14 chapters nationwide, the Northwestern chapter has had more than 550 alumni in its 70-plus years. In 1954 the chapter began awarding scholarships to women.