Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Chapin Hall (Humanities Residential College)

726 University Place
Evanston, IL 60201

Located on the southeast corner of University Place and Sherman Avenue.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Chapin Hall (Humanities Residential College)

History

Chapin Hall was dedicated in October 1901 as a cooperative residence for 70 female students and was operated by the Women`s Educational Aid Association (WEAA). Built at a cost of $30,000, Chapin was one of several residences for WEAA scholarship recipients who did light housework in exchange for reduced room and board. Chapin Hall was named in honor of Julia Anna Chapin Grinnell (1827 - 1907), the sister of Marietta Chapin Pearsons. With her husband, Dr. Daniel K. Pearsons, Mrs. Pearsons financially supported the WEAA from its inception.