Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Music Practice Hall

1823 Sherman Avenue
Evanston, IL 60208

Located on the northeast corner of Elgin Road and Sherman Avenue.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Music Practice Hall

History

The Music Practice Hall (1915) was built to accommodate the practice needs of the growing number of music students. Originally located on the south side of Emerson Street between Orrington Avenue and Sheridan Road, it was moved to its current location in 1924. Commonly referred to as 'the Beehive,' the building is considered virtually soundproof and was the first of its kind in the world.