Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Shakespeare Garden

East of Sheridan Rd., North of Garrett, South of Technological Institute
Evanston, IL 60201

Located directly east of the Ford Motor Company Engineering building.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Shakespeare Garden

History

Shakespeare Garden (1915) was designed by noted Prairie-style landscape architect Jens J. Jensen. The entrance to the garden is located just north of Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary, at the east end of Garrett Place. In 1920 the Garden Club of Evanston began planting the garden with more than 50 plants mentioned in William Shakespeare's works. The double row of hawthorn hedges encloses eight flower beds, a sundial and garden seat designed by Burnham Brothers, Inc., and a stone memorial with a bronze relief sculpture of Shakespeare designed by Leon Hermant. The garden was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.

University Archives

More images and historical information on this building can be found at the NU Library Archives