Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Ryan Field

1501 Central Street
Evanston, IL 60208

Located on the northeast corner of Central Street and Ashland Avenue.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Ryan Field

History

Ryan Field (1926) was the second football stadium constructed by the University. Designed by James Gamble Rogers, it was originally named Dyche Stadium in honor of William A. Dyche, a former Northwestern student (class of 1882), Evanston mayor, and Northwestern's business manager who oversaw its construction. The 45,000-seat stadium was renamed in 1997 for Patrick G. Ryan (class of 1959), who provided the lead gift for its renovation. Ryan Field is part of an athletic complex that includes Trienens Hall, McGaw Memorial Hall, Welsh-Ryan Arena, and Coon Sports Center.

University Archives

More images and historical information on this building can be found at the NU Library Archives

For a list of all University departments see the Office Directory