Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Phi Mu Alpha Fraternity

626 Emerson Street
Evanston, IL 60208

Located along Emerson Street just east of the Hobart House.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Phi Mu Alpha Fraternity

History

Phi Mu Alpha fraternity: Part of the women's quadrangles built in 1927-28, 626 Emerson was designed by noted architect James Gamble Rogers and made of rough-cut Lannon limestone. Like the other 13 original sorority buildings in the women's quads, 626 Emerson was financed in part by the first occupants, Alpha Omicron Pi sorority, which moved into it in the fall of 1928. In the late 1980s, 626 Emerson became the home of Phi Mu Alpha, the men's music fraternity. The Iota chapter of Phi Mu Alpha has been a men's music society at Northwestern since 1910.