Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Goodrich House

2321 Sheridan Rd
Evanston, IL 60201

Located along Sheridan Road directly west of McCulloch Residence Hall.

View on Map | Directions

Photo of the Goodrich House

History

Built as a component of the men's quadrangles, 2321 Sheridan Road opened as Austin House in 1932. The building was designed by Childs and Smith. The structure was originally named for Frederick C. Austin, who had established the Austin Scholars Program in 1929 to provide scholarships for business students at Northwestern. Unfortunately, the Great Depression devastated the fund's assets, resulting in its demise early in the 1930s. In 1933 the Board of Trustees voted to rename the building Goodrich House in honor of Grant Goodrich, one of the founders of Northwestern. An ardent Methodist and antislavery activist, Mr. Goodrich took a leading role in the founding of Northwestern. As a member of the Board of Trustees, he was instrumental in drafting the charter, establishing the law school, and advising on the legal affairs of the University.